Tea Party Republicans confront a party establishment unanimously representing the Boehner plan as a huge victory for the Tea Party, a crushing defeat for Obama, and an honest-to-God-for-real plan to shrink government starting now.
I cherish these sentences from an op-ed Wednesday by Bill Kristol:
“To vote against John Boehner on the House floor this week in the biggest showdown of the current Congress is to choose to vote with Nancy Pelosi. To vote against Boehner is to choose to support Barack Obama.”
Yet the Tea Party can rightly reply: But wait a minute — the Obama White House is defending the Boehner plan!
The fact that the Republican leadership is not honest, however, does not mean that it is not right. The GOP has marched itself into a fatal confrontation — not only with the Obama administration — but with the whole global economy. It has threatened to force an unnecessary U.S. bankruptcy unless it gets its unpopular way.
Do You Believe in Magic?
Recent Posts by David Frum
- Where Will All the Smart Kids Go?
- Has Competition Impoverished America?: Review of “The End of Affluence” by Jeffrey Madrick
- Anatomy of a Train Wreck: Review of “The System” by Haynes Johnson and David Broder
- Bookshelf: The Bankruptcy Around the Corner
- Health Care: Beware the “Little Fix”